We are in the process of doing a mini tub in the LOGO project car. As part of that we had to remove the leaf springs. What a pain in the neck! Early on we were able to remove the outside nut. We tried everything we could think of to get that bolt out. We tried an air hammer, JB Blaster and the biggest hammer and Chisel we could lay our hands on. The further we got into it we realized that the eye bolt was rusted to the spring steel bushing inside the front eye.
Our first shot at it was to try and cut right through the spring steel bushing. Take it from me that is next to impossible. Here’s what the bushing looks like with what remains of the bolt still in it.
When that failed we decided to get a little more aggressive but there was no way to cut the bot without first cutting through the spring steel. So from the outside we pounded the bracket out just enough to be able to get a Sawzall Blade in there. One you get it open enough it is pretty easy to cut if off. The problem is now there is no way to cut the bolt on the inside next to the frame because that bushing is right up against the frame rail.
The only way to move the leaf spring out away from the frame rail was to cut the head off the eye bolt from the inside. Again we used a Sawzall with the best quality blade we could find. It went surprisingly fast. Something around 10 minutes we had it cutoff. Once it is off you will find there is just a little bit of the bolt sticking out. Time to get out your big hammer and pound it through just enough to make room inside the frame rail to get you Sawzall in there and make the final cut.
Here’s what it looked like once we pounded it through just a bit. It was easy cutting from there just a lot of trail and error to find the right combination. One thing you want to make very sure of is that there is not tension on the leaf spring when you make those cuts. If there is you stand a good change of being hit by the spring when it releases. Be careful! Have Fun!